Canada revenue Agency (CRA)
You can pay in person with cash or debit card at any Canada Post outlet across Canada, for a fee. To do so, you will need a quick response (QR) code that contains information that allows the Canada revenue agency to credit your account.
The CRA (Canada revenue agency) is now including QR codes on various individual and business remittance vouchers. If your remittance voucher does not have a QR code, you will need to generate one. Canada Post uses a third-party service provider to process the QR code. The QR code looks like this :
How to generate a CRA (Canada revenue agency) QR code:
- On this site you will be asked to select the tax type you want to pay, your social insurance number or business account number, your name, and the amount you want to pay.
- When you have completed the required fields, press ‘Continue’ to select where you want your QR code to display. The choices are: Send to Email; Send to Mobile or print at Home. You can choose any or all of these options.
- Send by Email, you will need to enter your email address.
- Send to Mobile, you will need to enter your 10-digit Mobile Number.
- Print at home, a print icon will display.
A service fee will be charged based on the amount of the payment and displays when creating the QR code.
Be sure to bring your phone or printed QR code to any Canada Post outlet to make a payment.
- The clerk will scan your QR code and ask you how much you want to pay. The amount you initially entered is for your reference only and is not displayed to the clerk.
- The clerk does not see any CRA account information.
- The clerk will key in the amount you want to pay, add the service fee and accept payment by cash or debit card.
- The clerk will then give you a paper receipt with the amount paid and reference number for your files.
Avoid late fees
You are responsible for making sure the CRA receives your payment by the payment due date. If you are using a third-party service provider, you must clearly understand the terms and conditions of the services you are using.